Thursday 26 April 2012

In The Shadows

“I've been watching
I've been waiting
In the shadows for my time
I've been searching
I've been living
For tomorrows all my life”

In The Shadows – The Rasmus

In 2003 this song peaked on the charts at number one in New Zealand, Finland and Germany, number three in the United Kingdom, and number twenty-three in Australia. The US / UK version of the YouTube clip has 5,381,621 views at the time of writing this post. In The Shadows was played constantly on the radio and The Rasmus could be described as that Finnish band with the lead singer with feathers in his hair.

I bet you forgot this song existed.

The thing is, while my iPod has nearly 1600 songs on it, I have a tendency to put on the same music over and over again. Whether I’m at the gym, travelling somewhere, or just hanging around the house, Luger Boa, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga and Skillet are my go to artists. Or else I’m trending one artist for a short space of time when I become hooked on their tunes. Recent bands like this include Throwing Gravity, Reece Mastin, Seether, and my latest venture to become a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.

Every now and again, however, I will chuck my iPod on shuffle and rediscover awesome songs like In The Shadows. These little gems are usually from bands where I only have one or two songs by them on my iPod. And then I start loving that song and go on a bit of a Google to find out where that band is now until I find the next hidden gem on my iPod. It’s a cycle I actually love, because I’m always rediscovering music and bands who have influenced me over the years.

The good news for those like me who loved The Rasmus and In The Shadows is the band have a huge following in Europe. They have just released their eighth studio album simply called The Rasmus. Here in the Southern part of the world we don’t hear enough of these Finnish rockers, but if you want to catch up then check out their greatest hits album. This album recently joined my iTunes library, I love it, and it has been on repeat all week. In the meantime, I hope we get their new music on our airwaves, because they are one highly underrated but ridiculously awesome band.

No comments:

Post a Comment