Thursday 7 June 2012

What Makes You Beautiful


“Everyone else in the room can see it
Everyone else but you

Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it ain’t hard to tell
You don't know
Oh Oh
You don't know you're beautiful”

What Makes You Beautiful – One Direction

Oh, bejeeeeeeezizzles, One Direction with their One Infection fans girls standing for One Resurrection and hoping for a special One Connection.

Or something like that.

I have always been rather curious about the phenomenon of the fan girl, and my curiosity was recently sparked again with fan girls and #1D. When One Direction came to New Zealand, hundreds of tweeny boppers stayed for literally hours outside their hotel. I was heading along the road the hotel was on at 7:45am on the Saturday and the girlies were still there, hanging out with their signs and hopeful stares. Oh, girls, surely you should be curled up in bed with a hot chocolate in your fluffy pink PJ’s and a Creme magazine finding the next teen sensation you will turn your attention to when the British boys get a bit old?

Okay, that’s a tad harsh, especially as I’m all for being a fan of a music act. I wouldn’t be writing this blog if I didn’t love music and I wasn’t a supporter of all the music acts I have so far written about. And no matter how cheesy and ridiculously marketed the group may be, musicians of any sort would not survive without their fans supporting them. Sure, it might be a bit crazy to be outside their hotel at some ridiculous hour of the morning (and I can’t help but wonder what parents would allow such relaxed restrictions on where their daughters are this time of morning), but this is just a way of showing support. And while I will never be the screaming tween outside One Direction’s hotel room, I cannot deny the look of pure joy I had when Dave Grohl / Meat Loaf / Taylor Swift came on stage.

Fan girls are a funny concept, because a group of people who can’t pay their phone bills have the power to influence our whole music industry. To this day, I do not know whether I love or hate this. While the fact remains that not always the best artists became famous and this is something I find sad, the music which fan girls inspire is catchy, fun and a whole other side to music which is important.

I spent a great night hanging with fan girls when Reece Mastin came to New Zealand and thoroughly enjoyed a fan girl inspired concert.  And while I didn't go to the One Direction concert, I admit it: I have a little One Direction Infection with What Makes You Beautiful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment