Thursday 12 July 2012

Tribute


“And we played the first thing that came to our heads,
Just so happened to be,
The Best Song in the World, it was The Best Song in the World.

Look into my eyes and it's easy to see
One and one make two, two and one make three,
It was destiny.
Once every hundred-thousand years or so,
When the sun doth shine and the moon doth glow
And the grass doth grow...”

Tribute – Tenacious D

You know when you go and see a band live and you wait with eager anticipation for that one song which you love and you know the crowd will go crazy for? Tribute is one of those songs. I saw the D duo play Tribute when they opened for Foo Fighters, and they kicked into the track about halfway through their set. As predicted, the crowd went nuts and it was the most insane mosh I have ever been in. Amazing.

To be fair, Tribute actually doesn’t make a lot of sense. I mean, you could try decipher the story of meeting a demon on the road with your brother and just happening to sing the greatest song ever written ... but this isn’t it, this is just a tribute. Then again, when does anything by Tenacious D ever make sense? One Note Song, anyone? Tenacious D have made a living, and gathered a following, through not making a lot of sense but sounding particularly awesome.

Allow me to take a moment of seriousness amongst the madness which is Tenacious D. As usual with my thoughts which translate into these blogs, I’m going to switch up the meaning of Tribute. When they say “this is not the greatest song in the world, no, this is just a tribute”, it got me thinking. As I detailed in last week’s blog, I find it impossible to pick just one song to be my favourite, and I’m not going to start trying now. So ... this is a tribute to all the songs out there which we individually find the greatest in the world.

Furthermore, this particular blog is a tribute to those who have said something nice to me today. It’s a tribute to those who have read my blog over the past six months and supported me. It’s also a tribute to all the blogs which will surely come. Take it how you will - it's a tribute. 


No comments:

Post a Comment