Thursday 18 October 2012

How to Touch a Girl


“Bring me some flowers
Conversation for hours
To see if we really connect
And baby if we do
Ooh I'll be givin all my love to you
Ohh

Do you know how to touch a girl?
If you want me so much
First I have to know
Are you thoughtful and kind?
Do you care what's on my mind?
Or am I just for show?
You'll go far in this world
If you know how to touch a girl”

How to Touch a Girl – JoJo

If you have to Google it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

In saying that, JoJo’s is not about physically touching a girl, but it certainly gets your attention. What it really is about is a girl liking a boy but she wants him to shower her in gifts and pay her full attention and then will she decide if she will love him / let him “touch her”.

This song was released in 2006, in a time of advanced technology like the iPod and a female Prime Minister of New Zealand, and yet it makes me think about the aged old woman / man situation chivalry in society. When we look around we see these strong female figures and have witnessed feminist rebellion throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s and yet, we still go weak at the knees for a bunch of flowers. What this seems to me is a battle of politics versus personal lives. As much women love to think they are empowered by themselves, their peers and their role models to make a change for females, the odd gift from a man is rather nice.

And I like what JoJo talks about in her chorus – “touching a girl” is also about being kind and thoughtful and much more than a prop on your arm. To me, this is sheer politeness which should come from both sexes. It’s nice to head out with either a guy or a group of girlfriends and hear a “how are things going at uni / work / family home etc” and follow up on the things which aren’t quite going right for you. I think this shows support which should come from anybody involved in your life. Leading on from the politeness, this song also makes me think about the age old chivalry – is it still considered polite and socially correct to let a girl go through a door first or offer a lady your seat on the train (if she’s pregnant there’s no question – get your butt off the seat!)

So what really is “touching” a girl and can you really go far in the world if you do it? Is it finding the balance of letting a girl shine by herself while you stand beside her and if you do she’ll make it worth your while? Probably, and this is where you shouldn’t go around introducing your woman as an aunty to act like a skux to your bro mates at your party (on the Gold Coast).

I’m musing here, as it’s what I do best, and the conclusion I come to is being nice and polite can get you far in this world - both with the opposite sex, and with anyone else you may encounter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment