Thursday 3 October 2013

Demons

“When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It’s where my demons hide
It’s where my demons hide
Don’t get too close
It’s dark inside
It’s where my demons hide
It’s where my demons hide”

Demons – Imagine Dragons

I love writing this music blog. The idea for it came to me late in 2011 when I thought about writing for my student magazine and wondered what I could possibly talk about on a regular basis. I thought it would be cool to take a song and write what I feel and think about it and muse through how music impacts society. One day while at work I was talking with two girls who also have blogs and they encouraged me start one, and were enthused when I mentioned the idea which is now the basis for my blog. And thus I come to you every week or so with a new song and a new topic.

For the past twenty months I have covered many topics, but most of all I have bought up the flaws within people and encouraged you to look past them. Indeed the most recent weeks I have told you to speak your mind, consider yourself beautiful, have faith in your own being and smile as much as you can. As I write them I hope I can encourage and inspire you to better your life.

But it is time to be very honest. Most times I write about these topics I am doing it to try make myself to feel better.

Yes, there are times in my life when I doubt myself and I am not the strong person I may appear to be when writing. I fear I will never meet the right man, sometimes I get lonely and sad, and I doubt if I will have in my professional and personal life. Does this make me liar? Or a hypocrite for telling you to feel one way while I cannot?

I like to think not. Rather, I like to think it makes me human. I appreciate Demons as I think it sums up what a lot of us feel: we fear letting other people get too close to us both physically and emotionally because we fear other people knowing what is happening inside our heads. As I said above I have these little demons which inhabit me. They are fear, doubt, unhappiness, weakness. They are that little voice which throws darkness over the light and casts a shadow over what could be good. But I know in my heart that I am a good person and these demons which I sometimes feel are the thoughts many of us have, and I am lucky my demons are only little ones and not big ones I know other people have.


Writing this blog has helped immensely and has been a very therapeutic process for me. I will not stop writing until I feel I have no more to say. It has made me fall in love music more than ever; I truly believe the words and messages of the songs I write about. You, my readers, write comments and agree with statements, which makes me know I am never going through anything alone, and that knowledge could be the greatest thing about my blog.  


No comments:

Post a Comment