Wednesday 1 October 2014

Don't Forget Your Roots

“Don't forget your roots, my friend
Don't forget your family, yeah
Don't forget your roots, my friend
The ones who made you
The ones who brought you here”

Don’t Forget Your Roots – Six60

I’m going on an adventure. I say it’s an adventure because I don’t know where I’ll end up or what I’ll be doing the whole time or even how long I’ll be gone for. All I know is I’m starting by jumping the ditch and seeing where life takes me from there. It’s a big step and I’m a little bit scared about doing it, but I also know it’s something I have to do – ever since my trip to USA I’ve realised there’s a whole world out there for me to explore and learn from.

I left my job at the end of last week and my friend there gave me this plaque, saying it was something to keep in mind while traveling and fitted with my love of music and my love of New Zealand.



Yes, there is a whole world out there waiting to be seen, but there is always a place to call home. I was lucky enough to grow up in a wonderful environment with my family and my friends from all walks of my life. I credit them for the person I have grown into today and I know without the support I have I could not venture off shore. Alongside my core support group I have seen so much of our beautiful country – from New Years Eve spent in the Coromandel, sports trips across the North Island, numerous visits to our coolest little capital Wellington, ventures into the South Island and the spectaculars of the four corners of my home city Auckland. I cannot wait to be the next person to take stories from my homeland into the world.

As I travel across Australia and later further across the world my goal is to learn and enrich my life. This blog post is ridiculously cliché but it is the clichés which are important to remember, like in the end you only get one shot at your life and I know now is the time for me to go exploring. Who knows what I might find on the way – some of my friends have gone as far as saying I might find love and never come back. But I will be back one day – because to never come back means to forget your roots. And no matter how glamorous a life overseas may become I am determined to remember how great New Zealand has been to me and how proud I am to be from country.


Ka Kite Ano Aotearoa


No comments:

Post a Comment