Thursday 6 December 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know


“But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know”

Somebody That I Used to Know – Gotye feat Kimbra

I’m always happy when it comes to December, because a lot of cool exciting things happen all around the same time.  There is Christmas and all the trimmings which come with it. In New Zealand December means our summer and beach and barbeques. And it’s also a time for countdowns and looking back at what the biggest events of the year were. The news breaks, sport stories and entertainment scandals which made front page news are all put into countdowns to see what the biggest event of the year was (this year it has got to be the Olympics).

It’s also the time of year when we start to look back and determine what the biggest song of the year was. At the end of every year I scour lists to see who put what song where. It began in 2003 during my ZM listening days when I heard their top 103 of ’03 and I waited all day to hear Where is the Love by The Black Eyes Peas was number one. It’s been a yearly obsession since and each year I’ve always disagreed with the website which told me the winners. I often use this website http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/songoftheyear as it is US based and reflects that of Billboard pop charts (which doesn’t give me top songs of the year). I have followed it when it said 2004 went to Usher with Yeah! And 2005 was Mariah Carey, followed closely by Gwen Stefani’s Hollaback Girl. Last year Adele took it out with her smash hit Rolling in the Deep. And, interestingly, in 2002 it claimed Nickelback’s How You Remind Me was the biggest song.

This year there have been some huge hits in the pop charts– Maroon 5 have had two chart topping hits, Carly Rae Jepsen’s song for some reason stayed near the top  for weeks, Katy Perry, fun., Pink, One Direction and Flo Rida have been dominating our Top 40 radio stations ... and Gangnam Style, of course. But my prediction is Goyte feat Kimbra will be the song of the year. I’m not saying just because it is featuring a gorgeous Kiwi girl; it has been chart topping since it broke into the American market at the beginning of the year. It was the number one song on the Billboard charts for 15 weeks in a row and has sold more than six million copies into the market. It is the third-best-selling single of all-time in Australia, with a certified 10 times platinum status. The stats add up to one smash hit song which I think deserves to take out song of the year – but what are your predictions? 


This blog idea came to me from this awesome mash up video 




No comments:

Post a Comment