Thursday 29 November 2012

Maybe


”I'm not playin' hangman with you
I've run out of letters, let alone words
You've got me shiverin' in my spine
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/opshop/maybe.html ]
If everything turned out as we had said
We wouldn't have to sit here talkin' like this
Maybe I would be a better fit in my own skin
Maybe”

Maybe – Opshop

I find the word ‘maybe’ quite an interesting term – it’s a sitting on the fence kind of decision you make when you cannot make up your mind. It’s how you reply to Facebook event invites if you’re unsure what you will be up to that night ... or don’t want to go to said event. Or you can only rationalise an 11.4% chance you will be off work that night and can find a ride to the events location. For a better definition of ‘maybe’ I hit up google. The first return was Call Me Maybe. Ugh. A scroll down and maybe shows uncertainty, much like the characters in this Opshop song, and much like my opinion of Opshop’s lead singer Jason Kerrison ... maybe I like him.

Jason Kerrison is the good and the bad of New Zealand music. He’s the lead singer of a pretty sweet New Zealand band – not the best, not the worst, but somewhere between Evermore (higher up there) and The Feelers (a bit lower down). He’s currently a judge on New Zealand’s Got Talent and, while I have only watched a few episodes, he’s doing a not so bad job bringing people into the entertainment business. And he came into the semi finals Rockstar Supernova back in 2006 and while he never made our screens in the final 15, he’s the Kiwi which got the furthest on the Rock Star stage.

But maybe Kerrison isn’t all that amazing – after all he’s in an above average but not amazing Kiwi band which puts out good songs, including the one which was on the New Zealand Post ad. He’s on New Zealand’s Got Talent which, in my opinion, didn’t quite live up to its expectations. And he built an ark to survive the 2012 apocalypse thing. Built it from scratch for his family. Like, AN ENTIRE ARK! I don’t find that maybe weird, I find that weird full stop.

Interestingly, amongst my sitting on the fence musings of Jason Kerrison, I realised I find Opshop’s music average in the overall scheme of music. I pride myself on loving New Zealand music and have even dedicated the last blog of every month to a Kiwi artist. But when I think about it honestly I don’t love, or even particularly like, every single New Zealand song. I do love some, I hate some, and some I ... maybe sitting on the fence with uncertainty like, but that's just the way music preferences work. And while Jason Kerrison probably won’t be the Kiwi musician who will change the world, he hasn’t done anything wrong. Apart from this ark business...



No comments:

Post a Comment