Friday 2 November 2012

Top of the World


“There is only one wish on my mind
When this day is through I hope that I will find
That tomorrow will be just the same for you and me
All I need will be mine if you are here

I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world”

Top of the World – The Carpenters

This is blog number four of six on the topic of my favourite songs.See my other four favourite songs here, here, and here

It is common knowledge that us girls like to dream about our wedding days since we’re about five. We think up the perfect dress and cake, what flowers we would have and how our guests would be placed. We argue with each other about where to have the wedding; someone usually says the beach and someone else will say a church. We dream about the perfect guy: our prince, knight in shining armour, movie star, exceedingly rich, handsome husband to be. Or just someone who will take good care of us.

Me, being me, have a few vague things in mind about all of the above, but of course, have the song for my first dance picked out. Sorry future hubby, it’s going to be The Carpenters. None of this cliché soppy heart wrenching I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith stuff, I want it to be a bit more upbeat but still sweet,  so this hit song by The Carpenters is what it going to be. Don’t worry future husband (who, might I add, I have no idea will be), you might still get to pick out what cufflinks you’ll wear on our big, currently imaginary, day.

I really like this song because it is nothing more than simply a happy tune. There’s no hidden agenda to it like most love songs you hear. There’s no creepy stalker undertone like in Every Breath You Take and no allusions that the love you have has left you like in I Will Always Love You. Yet, it isn’t the ridiculously cutesy love song which makes you gag whenever you hear it because it is too damn lovely. No, the lovely Karen Carpenter just puts the message out for us to hear: her love is, quite simply, putting her on the top of the world.

While we’re on the subject of Karen Carpenter, I must add this quick note. If there was one musician I wish hadn’t died too young, it would be Karen. I would have loved to see her sing during my lifetime because she was amazing and I think she’s one those sad stories where a musician who had much more to give the music world died too young. 


No comments:

Post a Comment