Thursday 15 November 2012

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall


“I turn the music up, I got my records on
From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song
Don't want to see another generation drop
I'd rather be a comma than a full stop

Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees
Maybe I'm in the gap between the two trapezes
But my heart is beating and my pulses start
Cathedrals in my heart”

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall – Coldplay

Last Saturday night I saw Coldplay live at Mt Smart Stadium. On the way to the show my friend and I were discussing other music acts we’ve seen live. I realised within the past year I’ve been to Vector Arena six times for concerts and numerous gigs at bars for local bands. It seems I am drawn to live acts as much as I’m drawn to chocolate cake with pink icing. I remember a few months ago I had food poisoning and missed Luger Boa, Villainy and Clap Clap Riot playing together and I’m sure I nearly died. Not from food poisoning, but from missing out on seeing these three bands playing together. Therefore, with my history of seeing musicians in the flesh, Coldplay would have to do something spectacular to top the list of live shows. And as Coldplay’s music is often described as slow, sad and slightly mournful, it has hard to see them doing that.

But holy shit Coldplay put on an amazing live show. They turned their slow crooning British songs into hits which got the audience rocking and singing along. They had glowing wristbands, fireworks, confetti, light spinning across the stadium, three stages and the band were full of energy start to finish, from Paradise to Viva La Vida through to Fix You, the slowest song of them all. They ended with Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, the song which is all about turning the music up, something which you know I endorse.

It was easy to get lost amongst all the glamour though, and there was so much glamour at the Coldplay concert. Chris Martin and the band sounded really good live, but they weren’t the most amazing band I’ve ever heard (Dave Grohl takes that award home). I don’t love their songs like I love Keane or Skillet’s music. And I’m certainly not attracted to the lead singer of Coldplay like I’m attracted to Reese Mastin Meatloaf all the members of Hot Chelle Rae. Yet Coldplay were mesmerizing to see live because I wanted to know what was coming next: which song and which sparkly accompaniment flying through the sky. They were seasoned performers who knew how to wow a crowd and make their songs sound as best as possible live.

Thus, Coldplay takes the award for the most amazing show I’ve ever seen. Not the best live band or best songs performed, but a spectacular music and lights show which left me buzzing for hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment