Wednesday 4 February 2015

Walk

"I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?"

Walk - Foo Fighters

I posed a question to my Facebook friends near the end of last year partly to research for this blog and partly because I was curious: if you had to have one musician visit you on your deathbed who would you choose? The only restrictions I put on the question was if you wanted to pick a dead person you also had to pick someone living. The rest was interpreted by the person answering - why they were on their deathbed, what you would talk about with the musician and for how long, etc.

The results were, of course, vary in and interesting. There were obvious deceased choices - Michael Jackson, Nat King Cole, Johnny Cash, Bon Scott and Jimi Hendrix. Others, still living, were Ben Harper, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox, Sol3 Mio, Keith Richards, Robert Plant, Britney Spears (during her prime era) and a lovely gesture from my uncle who would like his son, a musician, to be beside him. I'm glad to say I have friends who make good choices on their deathbed - there was no mention of a Justin Bieber or Drake being called to the bedside.

Personally I would want to talk to Dave Grohl, lead singer of Foo Fighters. I did filter through a few choices before deciding on Grohl - I considered Taylor Swift, Hunter Hayes (though he was vitoed as a recent obsesssion), Jimmy Christmas from Luger Boa and John Cooper from Skillet. While these musicians, and many more, would be incredible to have visit during your last moments, Grohl is my number one pick because of his stories. I imagine lying in bed and listening to tales of rock and roll lifestyles, overcoming the despair of Nirvana and moving forward into Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl would also tell it to you straight and I imagine the last thing you want when you're dying is a whole lot of bullshit.

Of course, I hope I am years and years from being on my deathbed - hopefully so much so that I out live Dave Grohl. It is for this reason I picked out Walk for this blog. It's a tad ironic to think you could learn to walk again in your last moments. However, Walk is a great song to learn from as you take on life. There is a section in the song when Grohl literally screams "I never wanna die ... I'm dancing on my grave... I never wanna leave". Time and time again we will have to restart, to pick ourselves up and walk back into the insanity that is life, and not succumb before your time. It's a theme which Grohl has used in many of his songs and if he's coming to my deathbed then I want to be able to tell him all the times I learned to walk again.

If you missed it on Facebook do mention below who you'd have on your deathbed - it is an interesting idea to consider.



No comments:

Post a Comment