Thursday 1 March 2012

Good Night

“Let’s go back to rock and roll 
When people just let go 
And let the music flow 

I'm just looking for a good night, oh 
I'm not looking for the right time, no 
What I really wanna say to you right now 
Shut your mouth and let the music speak out loud 
I'm just looking for a good night”

Good Night – Reece Mastin
(The X Factor Australia 2011 winners single)

When Reece Mastin walked onto The X Factor stage in his audition and announced, with a cute English accent, he wanted to be a rock and roll star, he made every teenage girl put down their Dolly magazine and pink glitter lip gloss, and watch with interest. He was to be the next teenage sensation which girls went crazy for. I agreed he was reasonably good looking, but refrained myself from any other thought because he’s only sixteen. I thought he could sing, could perform, and could win the competition. He became my favourite and I carefully avoided any newspaper, website or broadcast which could tell me whether he won (NZ unfortunately got the show two months after the final). And so, Reece Mastin rocked his way to the top, fell down when he attempted Celine Dion, then came back with a Guns classic and received enough votes from the Australian public to be crowned the third X Factor Australia winner. He is on his way to becoming an international rock star, and all because of a reality TV show.

Reality television is the epitome of controversial television. It is cheap, easy to produce, and there is never a shortage of people willing to risk looking like a fool on camera for their shot at fame (think  William Hung from season three of American Idol, who was somewhat impressive with his version of She Bangs). Reality TV is seen as the butt end of television programming, and if you ever read the complaint letters in the TV Guide, you will see that most people hate it, or love to hate it. But when you cut out the MTV rubbish they call reality television and focus on the elimination style shows, we see something encouraging. These shows give people with a talent, whether it is singing, dancing, cooking or modelling, a boost into tough industries and show them the harsh competiveness from the beginning.

Whether Reece Mastin would have made a career without The X Factor, who knows, and whether he will continue to succeed remains to be seen. Personally, I hope he does succeed. He is talented and deserves to be called more than a reality TV sensation. He can let the music flow and have himself a damn good time becoming a rock star. Reece Mastin, you cute little English sensation, you have my support, but I think I’ll leave the love notes up to those a few years younger than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment