Thursday 17 May 2012

You'll Never Take That Way


“I have a heart that's covered in scars
I got a beach, a melody, and a guitar
Got a dream that's bigger than me
I've got a rhyme, a rhythm, and time on the sea
You'll never take that away from me”

You’ll Never Take That Away – Jamie McDell

This week’s blog should be aptly titled “the babes of New Zealand music”. Because, if you haven’t noticed, our Kiwi girls are damn fine musicians who are making news and music headlines at home and overseas. I’m talking about babes like Brooke Fraser, Bic Runga, Kimbra and Ruby Frost just to name a few.

This week I dedicated my blog to one of our latest home grown babes, Jamie McDell. One important aspect of New Zealand Music Month is giving time and publicity to emerging artists who are on the fringes of being huge. Miss McDell is well on her way to being huge; You’ll Never Take That Away is on our airwaves, Jamie’s doing shows around Auckland city and has visited other parts of the country. She has done some beautiful interviews, including one on Saturday Breakfast a few weeks ago which I thoroughly enjoyed watching. She’s doing acoustic covers, shooting videos, releasing more tracks, and is tipped to be the next big thing in Kiwi music.

Her first major hit, You’ll Never Take That Away is a song which New Zealand desperately needed. In a nutshell it describes our Kiwi spirit; it’s got a kicking attitude while still being heaps of fun. The music video shows off our fantastic beaches and sums up a New Zealand summer in four minutes. But mostly, it’s a nice break from the other bubble gum pop music which is on our airwaves at the moment. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind a bit of One Direction or Katy Perry, but we need to be brought back down to earth and return to our local roots with songs like You’ll Never Take That Away.

I love our Kiwi girls, and I have made it one of my New Zealand Music Month missions to listen to more music from our Kiwi girls. Established or just starting out, I want to find out more about them. So, I’m going to sign off here and tune into some sweet tunes from our home grown babes. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment