Thursday 30 August 2012

Wandering Eye


“...can't help but spy from my wandering eye
something beginning with the capital cool
capital you, if you could only check my view

we come to do it yeah, yeah

I got the wandering eye
Mmm
I got the wandering eye”

Wandering Eye – Fat Freddy’s Drop

It’s that time of year when all my friends start bugging with the one question I dread. It’s the most difficult question I have ever come across and I wish it didn’t come up every year, because I never know the answer and, to be honest, I just wish someone else would sort it out for me because I’m far too lazy and too busy to think much further ahead than next week. Yes, it’s that question: what are you doing for New Years?

It’s AUGUST!

But no, we have been bombarded with advertisements and line up announcements and *gulp* ticket prices to convince you to spend the night which sees in the new year with their particular show, and, if your (fabulous) friends are like mine, they all have a different idea on what to do.

To be fair, the line ups for these shows look pretty sweet. Last year I headed to Coromandel Gold (incidentally, which I decided to go to in early December and not July), and spent two great nights listening to Fat Freddy’s Drop – quite possible the leading act when it comes to New Zealand New Year festivals and hence the reason I specifically blogged on them - Shapeshifter and Shihad. The Coro Gold line up takes on these same bands this year, along with Sola Rosa, Katchafire and Kora. These Kiwi bands remind me of summer; it’s just a shame Coro Gold tickets have already sold out for 2012 / 2013 and I won’t be able to nab one the month before.  

Then there’s the biggest NZ New Year’s festival, Rhythm and Vines. This is four or so nights camping in Gisbourne. I’ve never been, but heard it’s the grottiest camp ground you could possibly find. However, if you can handle this and drinking from 9am until 5pm, when you’ll head to the music stage and hear artists like Kimbra, Logistics, Ruby Frost and Six 60 until you crawl back into your tent (or someone’s tent) before doing it all again. While this does not quite sound like my cup of tea, I’ve heard it is fantastic. The campground tickets are sold out but there’s still a few just to see the bands if you can find your own accommodation.

Finally, La De Da is on in Martinborough over New Years and has more wicked Kiwi artists like Shapeshifter – who are doing the hard yards at two festivals this year - Concord Dawn and David Dallas, so if you’re down that way for New Years I’d say check this one out. It appears to be the least recognised festival out of the three I mentioned, so you should be in for a not so squashed and not so scummy camp site over New Years.

To be honest, as much as I love music and have been getting excited by these line ups while writing this blog, I doubt I’ll know what I’ll be doing for New Years by December 20.

So stop asking me!

Ps. Hey, Fat Freddy’s Drop, what was with not playing Wandering Eye at Coro Gold last year? I dig this song!


No comments:

Post a Comment