Monday 16 December 2013

Sky


“I have done terrible things
I must pay for my sins I've done
And now my world is in pieces
I got lost down in the blazing fire
Traded my soul for a minute of pleasure
And now I must pay for the worthless treasure

I just wanted to see the sky
Open the one last time
I just wanted to feel the wind
Welcome the virgin snow
Before it's my time to go”

Sky – The Rasmus 

We face choices nearly every day of our lives. Most of the time it seems easy enough to tell which is the right choice for you, and this is the one you make. But sometimes what seems to be the wrong choice holds the most temptations and has something which you want. It creates a tough position: do you do what is right and miss out on something you want or need, or do you do what is wrong to require a fulfilment but in doing so create fatal relationships?

I have listened to Sky so many times and it puts me on two sides of the fence. I can see the character in the song has done something terrible which has gone on to affect the ones he loved, but they felt they needed to. The lines traded my soul for a minute of pleasure / And now I must pay for the worthless treasure stand out as the lines which sum up the whole song: should you trade everything you have for the one moment which might mean the most to you? No, of course not, because I don’t think we should be stronger than to throw away life for one need. But I also feel sorry for this character – how must it feel to want to something which is so terrible so much you would risk everything? And how sad is it to have to venture into risky areas outside of your everyday life just to experience a moment of pleasure? 

I realise I am throwing out a lot of questions without specifying an example, but there could be so many which fit within these emotions and it would be different for everything. I think you know what tests your limits and what could tempt you into doing something you shouldn’t. And as you go through life I think you will find this temptation change. Rather, the question I pose is whether you will give in to this feeling? It’s risky because you could lose everything for a venture which turns out not to be worthwhile, and personally, I’m not one to risk my current and future life. I think for now it is enough to listen to Sky and see what became of someone who stained their hands with blood and is paying for their sins just because they wanted to see the sky to know sometimes it is best to view the sky from the ground. 


No comments:

Post a Comment