Saturday 20 December 2014

Geronimo

"Can you feel it
Now it's coming back we can steal it
If we bridge this gap
I can see you
Through the curtains of the waterfall
When I lost it
Yeah you held my hand
But I tossed it
Didn't understand you were waiting
As I doved into the waterfall
So say geronimo
Say Geronimo"

Geronimo - Sheppard

There are officially 10 days left of 2014. There's things which have happened this year which excite me so much - three overseas trips, a whole lot of spiritual discovery and yet another year of musing through songs to discover meanings, sort out my head and tell you the stories of my life. I have an idea for a Christmas blog and a New Years blog to bring you within the next few weeks so I thought today was the best day to wrap up this year's music.

As soon as I mention this blog is 2014 music in review you've probably picked up why Geronimo is headlining this blog. Yes, Geronimo is my pick for song of the year. It took a bit of thought to get to this as there have been some bangers this year (all mentioned below). For me though Geronimo takes the top spot for being an awesome debut hit which is edgy and a bit indie thrown in with pop. It's a song you could just rock out to or you could think about the deeper lyrical contents of diving into something alone versus taking someone with you. I am so excited for everything Sheppard is going to do in 2015 and I sure hope there is a wicked follow up song to Geronimo.

However, 2014 also spawned some more brilliant hits, so let's run through some honourable mentions in the top 40 category. Both Iggy Azalea's Fancy and Calvin Harris' Summer were wicked songs to play in the club or at the beach or while road tripping, and it's no wonder both songs are in the top 25 biggest selling songs of 2014. Obvious mention to Taylor Swift for Shake It Off - a pretty average song but a killer to head bang along to in the car (I did it twice the other night while the guy driving just sat there unamused). I could keep listing of songs but I'll finish the top 40 section with a bullet list of my final five favourites.
- We Are Done by The Madden Brothers
- Life of the Party by Shawn Mendes
- Que Sera by Justice Crew
- Don't Say Goodnight by Hot Chelle Rae
- every single released by The Vamps this year

This year wasn't just about the top 40 pop though. Despite being released in 2013 Let It Go from Frozen was a killer song for 2014. It was sung by children everywhere all the time and drove parents crazy but it is such a good song. I much prefer the Idina Menzel movie version over the Demi Lovato version. Two other movie theme songs which must be mentioned are Happy by Pharell because that song was everywhere this year and a song about being happy is what the world needed, and Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde which is currently blowing up in your face because it is so good.

One last topic to cover for 2014 - the oh so epic gigs I got to go to. Overseas acts which I had such fun times at were both Jason DeRulo and American Authors. Another highlight was seeing Clap Clap Riot play their most recent album live back in March - they still are one of the best bands I've ever seen live. On the topic of New Zealand music Homegrown 2014 was a brilliant afternoon once again with local talent proving they've got star power - Benny Tipene in particular was brilliant. And I will never forget how this whole year started, with Fat Freddy's Drop ringing in the new year at Waihi Beach.

2015 is set to be another epic year for music - The Vamps, Foo Fighters and The Script are all on tour, and the breakout artists of this year are surely going to follow up with some great hits. But for now I have one last piece of advice - grab someone's hand, dive into a waterfull and say Geronimo!




No comments:

Post a Comment